Thursday, April 14, 2005

When I Grow Up...

Follow through has never been one of my strong suits. When I was 12 years old, one of my teachers called me fickle. It was the first time I had ever heard the word, but it was an accurate way to describe me. I start projects without finishing them. I've attended two colleges and earned no degree. Before I was married, I was in numerous relationships that I often ended out of sheer boredom. I become completely excited and involved with projects and ideas, only to forget about them soon after. When it comes to a career path, I've never been able to stay the course, but now that I'm 26, I feel that I seriously need to start thinking about what I want to be when I grow up. I'm planning on going back to school in the Fall, so I'm thinking about what I should study.

1. Philosophy - Love of wisdom. I love studying Philosophy, even when I mostly forget who wrote what. I think I love Philosophy because I love ideas, I love questioning things, and I love having discussions. I realize, of course, that studying Philosophy isn't practical in a career oriented sense. Most Philosophy majors become professors or instructors, and that's after many years of schooling. I wouldn't mind continuing to study Philosophy indefinately, but I'm not counting on it getting me a career.

2. Law - This one seems like a nice transition from Philosophy because they both involve the study of ethics. Studying law might be really interesting for me, but I'm not sure if I can really see myself as a lawyer.

3. Dietetic Technition - OK, I'm not really considering this one anymore. I like the idea of studying nutrition, but I think the job that would follow involves bringing trays of food to the sick and elderly. Not my dream job.

4. Pharmacy Technition - I think my medical background might prevent me from getting a job as a Pharmacy Technition, but I've never really looked into it, mainly because the idea of counting pills under florescent lights is somewhat horrifying.

5. Veterinary Technition - This idea was the last career goal I was really excited about, and now, in fickle Heidi fashion, I'm abandoning it. I love the idea of working with animals, but I have some qualms about medical stuff. Mainly, I get grossed out. I'm the type of person who gets faint and has to sit down when visiting a hospital, so I'd have a lot of desensitizing to do before I could become a vet tech. Euthanasia is another issue, and while I'm in favor of euthanasia as opposed to prolonging unneccesary suffering, actually participationg in it might be too much for me to cope with emotionally. Also, the only school that offers vet tech training is in Madison, and even if I wanted to move or make the commute, I hear there's a waiting list.

6. English - another passion of mine that won't amount to a non-teaching career.

7. Journalism - This is my latest big idea. I love to write and I love to do research. The thought of studying journalism makes me nervous for a couple of reasons, one of them being that I've never worked on any kind of newspaper (unless you count the literary review at UW Waukesha), and the other being the fact that I veiw the media as a bunch of slimeballs who are out to invade people's privacy. If I became a journalist, it would be really important to me that I keep my integrity, but I fear doing that would make it hard to get a job in this cut throat competetive world. Journalism (with integrity), also seems related to Philosophy in a way. I would use it as a search for truth. Socrates would be pleased. Also, like Law, I'm sure that Journalism shares the study of certain ethics with Philosophy.

Well, those are my ideas. I know that the decision is ultimately up to me, but if anyone has any input I'd like to hear it (or read it).

1 Comments:

Blogger Hiddenson said...

Hello Heidi,

It is the first time I come to your blog, so I certainly do not have the pretention to provide sensible advice. Yet, I somehow related to your writing, because I myself am a jack-of-all-trades (and master of none, as the saying goes on).

I studied many things and graduated in none. With time, I have come to the conclusion that the current educational system is not for me. I am much better on my own. Self-studied.

In my research for the right courses, degree, career... I happened to try law. Well, dear, if you are even remotely like me, let me tell you you're going to hate this. The idea you have of law now was the idea I had of it before starting, that is, before hearing professors say that "a pluridisciplinary approach of a given matter is not what is being asked, what is being asked is what is in the code". Period.

I think you get the idea by now.

Whatever you choose, the choice is yours to make, and I wish you good luck in your enterprise.

June 06, 2005 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home