Friday, September 29, 2006

The first round of tests

I had my first German test last Friday, and then tests in both Geology and Geography on Monday. My results were:

German - 94%
Geography - 84%
Geology - 97%

Since my knowledge of Geography has always been embarrassingly limited I thought it would be a good idea to take a Geography class. That might not have been the best idea I've ever had, but I'm pretty sure I can do better than an 84% next time. My attention was split between Geography and Geology this time. I was much more frightened of Geology, so I studied it to death and ended up blowing the test away. I've never gotten such a high grade in a science class in my life. I always figured science just wasn't my thing, but I may have been wrong about that. I'm wrong about a lot of stuff, and often.

My first Philosophy test at UT isn't until the end of next week. I think I'm starting to lose my passion for Nietzsche, and that makes me sad. It also makes me second guess my decision to study German, but I have no intention of ditching my German studies now that I've gotten started. I think I may take both French and German. If I had more time in my schedule I would study Latin as well, but it has occurred to me that I might like to actually graduate at some point, and move on to grad school. Someday I will study Latin. And maybe Greek. And perhaps Spanish. Japanese might even be interesting. As an undergrad I will narrow my focus to German and French. I've contemplated minoring in something but my interests are so broad that I think a minor would be really limiting. Strangely enough, it would not be very difficult for me to double major with Psychology. I seem to have unconsciously accumulated a lot of credits in Psychology through the years. The thing is, though, I'm not even sure if I really like Psychology - I just know that I'm good at it. Anyway, as for now I am sticking with just the Philosophy major. The classes that remain aside from core requirements will represent the scattered nature of my interests. Perhaps some Literature courses, a touch of Classics, some Art History. I'm not sure what else yet.

I'm started to get involved in a couple things on campus. I went to one meeting for Philosophy club, and didn't like it a whole lot. Some of the people were interesting and had some good things to say, but there was also the presence of the worst kind of philosophy major personality - the pompous 20 year old pipe smoking passionless analytical conversation hog. I actually felt physically ill for days after hearing some of the comments made at this meeting. Anyway, I suppose I should try going again but I'm afraid of how I might feel afterwards. An activity I feel less ambiguous about is being part of the support staff for UT's literary magazine, the Phoenix. I went to my first meeting for that on Wednesday and overall I liked everyone there and had a tremendously good time. I forgot how much I enjoy criticizing other people's creative efforts.

There's another organization I'm thinking of becoming involved in, but I'm not going to talk about it until I really do get involved. I'd also like to join a choir, but probably not on campus. Maybe something Unitarian.

This post is becoming extremely long. This is what comes of not posting often enough. When I do post it becomes a manic outpouring of writing that I hadn't planned for. There is however, one other thing I want to mention that has been going on with me lately. I've been realizing that a lot of the products I purchase come from companies that engage in animal testing. I'm going to stop doing that. It's astounding how much regular everyday stuff is tested on animals. I can't believe it never occured to me before. From now on I'm going to be more careful about what I buy. I've been doing a lot of research and finding good alternatives for things I use regularly. I think I'll feel a lot better once everything is replaced. Don't worry, I'm not going to join PETA or anything. I still think their practices are unethical, although I must admit that their website is a good resource for finding which companies do and do not test on animals. Since I'm an animal lover I think it's time that I start acting like an animal lover, and less like a typical American consumer mindlessly purchasing things without giving a second thought to how they're produced.

And, speaking of animals, we are thinking of adding another to our family. Nik wants a puppy, and naturally, I want a kitten, or a cat. What we really need is a house so that we can get both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home