Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I think I'm a poet because I lack patience. I've never been the type to write poems that are pages long. My poems don't have parts, like Ginsberg or T.S. Eliot. Ideas come to me in a flash and I work them into poetry. Moments of time. Glimpses of life. All of my short stories are about three pages long, and I've only written three of them.

I have an idea for something new now, but it's a project. It's going to take patience. I may have to spend an hour on one paragraph to get it right. It isn't an idea that I can shove into a poem over the course of a day and then go on with my life afterwards. It's bigger than that. I'll have to peck away at it, but I'm afraid of losing patience. I'm afraid of wandering away from the idea like the non-committal flake that I am. Fickle, fickle Heidi.

I'm pretending to write short stories, but they might be chapters to something bigger. So far I have two paragraphs. How frustrating.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jack Ruttan said...

I like the idea of just winging it, for poetry. Then I adjust it later, because words are important. They don't really say very much, though, which is all right.

Good luck with the exercise thing.

July 13, 2005 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey heidi
i am also a poet and writer. last year i took a creative writing class in college and we had to write a short story. i was so nervous, i kept putting off turning it in till finally the teacher asked if i had it. next class he told me it was great. so i have take classes with the same guy, fiction classes. i have come a long way, from thinking i could only write poetry. this guy taught me that you just have to write it and not think about it. you may know in your head that it is crappy, but just write it anyway, then after days have passed, look at it again and then you are clear minded enough to edit and make it sound good. i hope i said all that right!!

July 14, 2005 10:49 PM  
Blogger Heidi Bloom said...

I know what you're saying.

July 15, 2005 1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home