Thursday, June 01, 2006

not quite a 4.0

I'm at the library right now. I'd like to be able to get online at home but I'm not sure when that's going to happen. On Tuesday I came here and checked my UWM grades. I got an A in every one of my classes except English. I got an A- in English because of a B- I got on a paper about the Minister's Black Veil. I'm pretty happy, but I wish I would have gotten a 4.0 because I know that I could have. I could have done extra credit for English or something. I also officially applied to the University of Tennessee on Tuesday. Now there's nothing to do but wait. My transcripts should be there already. We have Tennessee driver's licenses now, and a Tennessee license plate on our car. We have local phone numbers. We are officially here. We actually did it.

Nik's friend Seth helped us get moved in and took us for a tour of Knoxville. I like him. He reminds me of a combination of people I've known before. Everyone else that we've met here has also been very helpful and nice. Southern hospitality actually seems to exist here, even though most everyone we've met is also from somewhere else. Our neighbor Howard is from Ohio. We bought a bed from a salesman from Michigan, and we met a guy downstairs from us who seemed to be British, but I think he's gone now because he wanted our boxes.

Getting here was rough. I did nearly all of the driving, from 2 am until about 3 in the afternoon. I would never think that I could drive a 16 foot truck that was hauling all of my posessions including my cats and my car for 13 hours, but I did it. I have no desire to do it again. I didn't sleep for two days. When we got here and had to sign the lease I felt like I was in another world, yet everyone kept talking to me as if everything was normal. It was crazy, and when it was finally ok to sleep, I didn't even want to anymore. I was too loopy. I was rambling. I was manic.

I'm hoping to work part time here but so far I've had no luck securing a job. Maybe I'll hear from someone today. Nik and I are considering seeing the new X-Men movie today, even though we know it's going to be bad.

Well, I guess that's about it. I'm glad to be here, although part of me still can't believe it's real. There are many people in Milwaukee that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to. I wanted to, but I ran out of time. Sorry about that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ive been keeping up on your blog you kinda said goodbye to me

James

June 04, 2006 1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hides,

I figured you were crazy busy getting your life together, so it's all good. Maybe I will visit you guys sometime.

I ran into Wiley at the Riverwest Coop. Apparently, he lives in Nashville, Tennessee! I gave him my email, and if he ever emails me back I'll give you his.

Hang in there. Moving is tough. I did it a bunch when I was a kid, and haven't since.

Love,

Roman

June 06, 2006 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home